10 Simple Ways to Prepare Your Home for the Summer Heat
Summer heat is upon us, but there is no need to suffer. There are plenty of simple ways to prepare your home for Summer so you and your family stay cooler all season long. The following tips will keep you cool while helping you save money on your energy bills during this time of year.
1. Install blinds and keep them closed to block sunlight during the hottest part of the day.
2. Consider putting up awnings to provide even more shade over windows and doors. This is especially recommended for Southern and Western facing openings.
3. Keep your air conditioning system well maintained. Regularly change filters. Occasionally have condenser coils cleaned and refrigerant replaced.
4. Consider upgrading older air conditioning units to new, Energy Star qualified systems.
5. Put in shade-providing plants such as trees and vines to keep heat producing rays off your house.
6. Put in ceiling fans and make sure they are running counter-clockwise and at a high speed during the summer to generate a better breeze indoors.
7. Close off rooms that you are not using. Don’t cool more of your home than you need to. Shut doors to rooms that are not being used and close the air conditioning vents in those rooms to save on energy costs and more efficiently cool the rooms you are using.
8. Ensure you have proper ventilation and insulation in your attic. The sun is heating up your house from above all day long.
Make sure you have plenty of insulation to keep that heat from entering and keep the cool air from escaping. Likewise, make use of ventilation windows in the attic to get the hot air somewhere to escape.
9. Switch to compact florescent lights. Incandescent light bulbs have to generate much more heat in order to produce the same amount of light, making your home harder to cool.
10. Do less of your cooking on the stove or traditional oven. These appliances create enormous amounts of heat.
Summer is a great time to barbecue outdoors and eat out and restaurants. You can also consider preparing meals that require less cooking or can be heated in a microwave.
Don’t let your A/C suck the fun out of summer. Call Bosco Home Services at (416) 405-8632 for greener HVAC services in the Mississauga area!