Having a drain plugged is a serious plumbing issue that requires immediate attention. While these issues seem to occur without warning, there are things that you can do to prevent your sewer drain from experiencing issues. Sewer clogs can lead to costly repairs and negatively impact your family because of the inconvenience of not having access to the restroom at home.
Here are some effective tips to prevent sewer drain clogging at your home:
- Watch what you flush! Don’t try to flush diapers, baby wipes, or feminine hygiene products down the toilet. Even if they appear to go out of sight, they will clog your line. These items were not made to be flushed. Instead, throw those items in the trash. Only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed down the sewer drain.
- Don’t plant bushes, flowers, and trees to close to the sewer lines or you will have drain clogging problems. As roots grow, they can seep their way into the pipes and not only result in a drain plugged, but even destroy your sewer lines. If plants are in the close proximity of your pipes, you should keep watch and make sure you do the proper trimming and removal as necessary.
- Clean your drains monthly! Use a drain cleaner. In this case, you want to use a cleaner that contains enzymes rather than chemicals to clean out your sewer drain pipes. Cleaners that are enzyme-based are better for your pipes, better for your health, and even better for the overall environment. Many commercial cleaners have harsh chemicals that do more bad than good.
- Replace old sewer pipes. With the passage of time, pipes tend to corrode. This is true especially if you live in an older home. If your home has sewer pipes that are made of clay or lead, you should get them replaced before worse problems arise. It is much easier to replace them early on before you experience some serious sewer drain clogging.
- Conduct annual maintenance services on your sewer drain to prevent sewer clogs. This means once a year you have a thorough rooter cleaning done by a professional plumber. In some cases, you might need to have rooter cleanings twice each year, especially if your home is older and your sewer system has been prone to having a drain plugged. Maintenance is much more cost-effective and will save you a lot of time and trouble.
By being proactive and following these five steps, you can prevent the risks of drain clogging and make sure your sewer lines are up to par. Don’t let your sewer drain get you backed up against the wall. Call Bosco Home Services at (416) 405-8632 for your plumbing needs in the Greater Toronto area!